Friday 11 December 2009

ASCUK gone for good. Where to go now ?

Now that ASCUK is dead, and I quote from a post on Arnie's Airsoft forum from Aitch, one of the now, ex-moderators of ASCUK:


Right, save speculation, I've avoided posting until I knew what going on, now I know what is what here goes,
It's dead and will not be coming back,

Short version is we were trying to buy the database/url etc as fluffy had no interest in it anymore, the deal fell through, so end of an era,

None of us foreseen this sudden closure and It leaves alot of people stuck mid deal with sales etc, stuffs a lot of sites with forums who will have no idea what is happening, I can only apologise for this, out of my hands, it went down a few years ago and came back after a few weeks work went into it, if it does return this time I will not be involved with it,
I'd have like to have been given time to inform users/and sites of closure but s**t happens, thanks to all who supported the place over the years,

Hey, atleast it means there will be no more forum rivalry

Now stick the boot in lads

Ian.


There are more than a few forums out there that will be grateful of the traffic including at least one that is being set up to take ASCUK's place in the form of Simply Airsoft and a placeholder, Aitch.com that Aitch has set up.

In the mean time, entertain yourself with the following forum links. I've been a member on Arnie's for a good few years now, so I'd suggest you start there, then try these others:

Airsoft Ireland
Manchester and North West Airsoft Community
Zero In
Airsofters.co.uk

Or just google it and take your chances. Goodbye ASCUK, parts of you I'll miss, other bits I won't but thanks for being there for as long as you were.

1 comment:

Gareth said...

Such is the nature of the sport that all the alternatives have their own downsides.

Airsoft Ireland: Can't really comment as have had no reason to do so.
MANCAS: Good bunch of people from what I hear, although again they suffer from a lack of greater exposure.
Zero In: Was set up to support customers of Zero One retailer. As such their overview is somewhat limited. There is some discussion on Arnies of the mods deleting posts/links and banning posters for discussing other retail options.
Airsofters.co.uk: Signed up with them after the last ASCUK outage. Didn't stay long as the vibe I got was it had a rather immature mindset

Arnies would probably be your best bet, although some of the info can get confusing due to the many international posters on there. However, given the tag line, it says a lot to me that so many people across the world have sought out Arnies.

See you around

Gareth