Wednesday 12 October 2011

G&P Stoner 63A

Let's get one thing straight. I love this gun. I'd be happy with it if it just sat on a shelf somewhere and did nothing else. I have wanted a Stoner since they were announced by G&P over a year ago. Every time I've had the money for one, they've been out of stock in this country. This time round, I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a second hand one. Unfortunately, I've not been able to use it yet as the FPS quoted by the seller (around 330fps) turned out to be 348-349 fps when chronoed at Urban Assault last weekend, making it 3-4 fps over the site limit. As a result of this, I've not had a chance to use it in anger yet, that will have to wait for the next outing at Fireball. Until then, I'm happy to just take it out of the box every now and then.

This thing is solid. I had heard rumours of fragile stocks and external parts. I have found quite the contrary, it is weighty and feels up to the quality that you expect from G&P products. Thst'a all I'm going to say about it here. I may add some more when I've used it, but if you Google the phrase 'G&P Stoner review' there are thousands of words out there on t'internet extolling the virtues of this gun. All I will add are some slightly below par photos.









If you're into Stoners and the whole Vietnam vibe, I would also like to take this opportunity to recommend the work of Darryl Young and his book The Element of Surprise. It covers the first tour of duty of SEAL Team 1's Juliet Platoon member Darryl Young. Not only is this book endearing and exciting, it is incredibly detailed, going into the equipment and weapons that each man carried on operations. not only that, but this man carried a Stoner, and boy, did he love that gun. Well worth a read. More information on Darryl Young can be found here.

No comments: