Wednesday 12 October 2011

Gearbox Challenge

Last night, for the first time, I opened up a V2 gearbox, had a nose around and then closed it up again. I've never done this before, mostly out of fear, but as I had a spare V2 gearbox (from my Marui XM177), there was very little to lose from having a go. As it turned out, it was pretty straightforward. Undo the screws, keep track of which one goes where as they vary in length, have a dig around inside, reset the gears to where they should be and stick it all back together again.





The only problem I ran into was the 'reset the gears to where they should be' bit. In the course of fumbling around getting it to fit back together again, the pin on the sector gear that moves the tappet plate got stuck underneath the plate rather than being in a position to push it back, this meant that the two halves of the gearbox shell wouldn't fit together properly. After a bit of head scratching, I realised what the problem was and sorted it, gearbox back in one piece.



I've probably posted this before, but it's very useful if you don't know how the inner workings of an AEG gearbox do what they do.

No comments: