Tuesday 10 February 2009

GEAR REVIEW - Snugpak Response Pack



This thing is genius. It’s technically a bum bag, which immediately makes it really uncool (my girlfriend actually laughed at it, which is not unusual when I buy tactical gear, but there you go). On the plus side, it has a carrying handle on the top so it can easily be grabbed out of the boot of a car, or from under the bed, for example and the belt strap can be tidily tucked away inside the back, where there are also MOLLE straps to allow it to be attached to a battle belt or MOLLE vest, or something along those lines.



There are four main compartments. A small one at either end, big enough for a small first aid kit, Petzl Tikka head torch and multi-tool (which is how mine is equipped) or similar sized goodies. The main compartment is big enough to keep a well appointed first aid kit, a ’58 pattern canteen, cup & hexi-burner (maybe not quite that much) or something along those size lines.





I keep a bunch of bugout bag essentials in mine; mini-maglite, survival tin, hexi-burner, monocular, chemlites, titanium spork and a few other odds ‘n’ sods. The fourth compartment is a zip up wallet-like secion on the front with a mesh pocket inside suitable for smaller bits and pieces: triangular bandage, silva compass, led torch etc.





There are a million and one things that you could use one of these for. As mentioned above, I use mine as a sort of emergency, bugout & camping bag (see pics) to keep a load of bits together in the same place that may or may not come in handy on days out camping, hiking or skirmishing. they retail for about the £17 mark so they're also cheap enough to have a couple.

As you can probably see, you can get a hell of a lot of stuff in them (the '58 pattern bottle and mug are carried in a seperate pouch mounted on the belt. I've been carrying it in the boot of my car during the recent bad weather and found it so useful, I bought my girlfriend’s brother one for Christmas. He uses it when he’s out on his motorbike.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

very useful, the only review on line of this and great pictures too!!

Called snugpak who were AMAZINGLY helpful about the internal dimensions whic they said were approximately (main compartment)
22x7x17cm which is just a tad under 3 litres.

Unknown said...

I just can’t help it. Your blog layout is absolutely outstanding, and every blog post is worth reading! This blog post is what I liked the most. I’d love to have a bag like this for it meets both good looks and it has tons of functionality – perfect for outdoor use!
- Kisha Kitchens

Unknown said...

Great write up. I love my Snugpak Response Pak IT makes a great alternative to a rucksack when I am out and about. The ammount of gear you've squeezed into yours is amazing though. I am impressed!